Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 15:55:55 -0400
From:      rdewalt@meridianksi.com (Ryan Dewalt)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Adam Blake <blake@sba.miami.edu>
Subject:   Re: pkg_add and -t option

At 03:44 PM 5/8/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been having lots of problems with the pkg_add command.  I am running
out of space
>on /var/tmp where pkg_add likes to use as a "staging" area while it
downloads.  The man
>page says that if you use the -t option you can specify that it download
to another
>location such as /usr/tmp/instmp.XXXXXX  and it will download all it needs
there.  I keep
>doing this and pkg_add continues to download to /var/tmp and overflow the
directory!!!

>Can anybody out there help please?
>

>-Adam

On one of my machines, I run into a similar problem rather rapidly with
munpack (which uses /var/tmp as well)
I solved this by symlinking /var/tmp to another partition.
/storage/var.tmp/ in my case  (/storage is a rather large drive who's sole
purpose in life is to be a rather large drive for when I need a rather
large drive to extend into temporarily...)
(as root, make sure /var/tmp is unused/empty)

rmdir /var/tmp
mkdir /storage/var.tmp/
chmod 777 /storage/var.tmp/ (since /var/tmp is normally globally +rwx)
ln -s /storage/var.tmp/ /var/tmp

Now, this does have downsides. (/var is by default on the root partition
AFAIK, and if you boot into single user mode and don't mount -a you won't
have /var/tmp to use.)  And may not exactly be the wisest decision...  but
its how I tackled my instance of this problem

And as always, there is more than one way to shoot yourself in the foot.

-Ryan

--
Ryan Dewalt - Code Poet rdewalt@meridianksi.com tet@solfire.com
.ASP programmer by day, FreeBSD Proto-Guru by night.