Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:21:35 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Magnus B{ckstr|m" <b@etek.chalmers.se>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Command to make modifications on multiple files

> From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:24:18 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hmm ... I was kind of hoping for a single command that would do it for me,
> so I wouldn't have to debug something I'd write myself.  However, I'll
> consider this, if I can't find anything ready-made.  I'd prefer not to write
> a script of my own and discover a bug in it the hard way, which would mean a
> lot of restoring.

There is a tool to do this in ports, misc/mmv. It allows for the use
of wildcards in the source (don't forget to escape them to get around
the shell) and the ability to insert the matching pattern in the
destination.

mmv -r test\*.dat old-stuff=1.dat
will rename (-r) all files matching test*.dat, replacing "test" with
"old-stuff".

Of course, REAL Unix users will always use shell to do this! :-)
(I'm not a REAL Unix user.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)