Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 11:42:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW redirect rule?

Chip wrote:

> Could it be as simple as this? ->
> 00100 divert 8668 ip from 208.194.173.xx:80 to 192.168.0.7:80 via dc0
> I wonder about the line number though, my rc.firewall
> rules do not have line numbers, they start with /sbin/ipfw,
> so do I leave those off and replace them with /sbin/ipfw
> when I add the necessary line to my rules?

This is beyond my knowledge but I think if you divert to the other
machine too soon, you don't have a firewall. You need to check for a
number of things. The bad non-routables, spoofing and then divert your
port 80 requests to your web server. I think a side effect would be
not browsing from your other machines. I thought at first a "fwd"
command would be the choice but I don't have any idea at that point.

I have an internal W2K server that I use to maintain my FrontPage
stuff on. I ftp my web stuff from it to my FreeBSD machine. WS-FTP Pro
will order by date and that makes it easy to move everything above the
old log. I also want people to see Apache and not IIS.

Kemt

> --
> Chip W.
> www.wiegand.org
> Alternative Operating Systems
>
> Chip wrote:
>
> > Kent Stewart wrote:

> > > I forgot something. The latest rc.firewall has a divert located at the
> > > top of "Simple". I modified my addition of the "Dual Homed setup" to
> > > look like that for the non-routeable networks.
> > >
> > > That eliminates the "in" and "out" sections for those networks.
> > >

> > That works if the web server is on the same box as the firewall,
> > in my case it is not. My web server and firewall boxes are two
> > seperate machines, firewall ipaddress are:
> > 208.194.173.xx and 192.168.0.1
> > and the ipaddress of the web server is:
> > 192.168.0.7
> > so the rule needs to redirect 208.194.173.xx:80 to 192.168.0.7:80
> > This is where I haven't found the correct way to right
> > the rule.
> >
> > --
> > Chip W.
> > www.wiegand.org
> > Alternative Operating Systems
> >

> > > Kent
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kent Stewart
> > > Richland, WA
> > >

> > How are things in the Tri-Cities these days? I am a native
> > of Kennewick. Now living in *ugh* the Seattle area. In
> > Mountlake Terrace, near Edmonds and Lynnwood.
> >

> > > mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com
> > > http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/index.html
> > > FreeBSD News http://daily.daemonnews.org/

Kent Stewart