Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:32:29 +0800
From:      gwzhao@multiwave.com.sg (Gorton Zhao Guo Wei)
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FW: Problems on installing Free BSD 2.2.6

I have sent several messages to cdrom.com. Some of them are attached. They suggested me to get supports from you as this is a very unusual problem. The following is my problem on installing the FreeBSD.

I tried to install Free BSD on a hard-disk without any OS and without a DOS partition. I mean that I tried to install Free BSD alone on a hard disk. I tried to install it on a hard disk with a DOS partition too. I actually did many tries for the Free BSD installation. All were not successful.

I guess that the problem could be in hard-disk site because the wd2 (hard-disk parameters) was not displayed properly at system bootup time. I set hard-disk to LBA mode in BIOS. The hard disk parameters is SIZE 1282, CYLS 621, HEAD 64, LANDZ 2483, SECTOR 63 MODE LBA.

I checked these hard-disk parameters from fdisk during instillation. All was correct when running fdisk, but after re-boot the computer, it is reset to a wrong parameter (CYLS 1422). It was strange to me as everything (fdisk and copy files) was okay during installation. There was no problem getting correct hard-disk parameter at fdisk, but it fails after re-boot.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Gorton Zhao
R & D software manager
Multiwave Innovation Pte Ltd

25 Serangoon North Ave. 5    Tel: (65) 485 6652
6th Floor Uraco Building     Fax: (65) 481 2611
Singapore 554914             Web: www.multiwave.com