Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:22:06 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Bernhard Froehlich" <decke@bluelife.at>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox and HAL / D-Bus / PulseAudio (?)

> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:53:53 +0100 (CET)
> From: "Bernhard Froehlich" <decke@bluelife.at>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
>
> On Wed, January 13, 2010 10:29 pm, martinko wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > As I do run D-Bus but do not run HAL nor PulseAudio on my system I'm
> > wondering what are the options and consequences :
> > - port option DBUS=on and rc.conf option DBUS=YES but without HAL
> > - port option DBUS=off .. what do I lose ?
>
> You need HAL and DBus for CD/DVD Host access.
>
> > - port option PULSEAUDIO=on .. what would I gain ?
>
> PulseAudio did not work until the 3.1.2 portupdate because that includes a
> patch to correctly build pulseaudio support. What you gain? You can use
> pulseaudio - but when you do not enable it it always falls back to OSS
> which is probably fine for almost anybody.

To be honest, I can't figure out the value of pulseaudio, period. Modern
OSS seems to do everything needed and do it better. I have had all sorts
of issues with pulseaudio since it showed up and my general policy is to
just say 'no' to it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)