Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2019 19:08:54 +0200
From:      Domagoj =?UTF-8?Q?Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87?= <rank1seeker@gmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   For a first time completed S.M.A.R.T captive test

11.2-RELEASE-p9

=46rom the first time I started to use FreeBSD and upon to just recently, wit=
h smartmontools, I have NEVER successfully completed captive test.
No matter which HDD or smartmontools version I used, upon initiating 'Exten=
ded captive' test, I would ALWAYS get error: 'Interrupted (host reset)'
This implies nothing is being mounted from device, so only it's node exist =
in /dev/ and nothing "chats" with it except kernel.
Stopping smartd service also didn't help.

Searching on the internet, I have never found anyone succeeding with it.
Just a "solutions" that it should never be used?!

So I started to think a little bit out of the box ...
HDD has it's OWN board with it's OWN BIOS + firmware, which actually holds =
S.M.A.R.T version/ability and IT executes issued test from OS, using it's o=
wn firmware to actually run a test.
Once HDD receives test request from OS, HDD doesn't need OS at all!

So, in order to get rid of a results like:
    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho=
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
    # 2  Extended captive    Interrupted (host reset)      90%     40743   =
      -

And suspecting OS (kernel?!) is pestering HDD during it's captive test, thu=
s interrupting it, AS SOON as captive CMD is issued and hangs occurs (it is=
 too late when hang passes by itself!), I've pulled out SATA DATA cable and=
 left SATA POWER cable attached.
Hang is stopped as soon as SATA DATA cable is unplugged and it's used only =
to transfer test request anyway to HDD and all HDD needs from that point on=
, is JUST a power and it's "piece of mind"!
RESULT:
    --
    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho=
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
    # 1  Extended captive    Completed without error       00%     40744   =
      -
    # 2  Extended captive    Interrupted (host reset)      90%     40743   =
      -
    --

FINALLY! =3D=3D> '# 1  Extended captive    Completed without error'

So ..., what to conclude from this?
Does kernel really must "chat" with HDD in order to keep alive it's device =
node in /dev/ or is it something else?
If HDD supports captive test and during it, why it simply doesn't ignore OS=
/kernel (it is up to HDD's firmware code to make that decision).

Is this, I'm not even sure how to name it ..., a borderline bug?

Anyway, it is a little bit "impractical" to use terminal with one hand and =
with other to pull out SATA data cable.

Domagoj Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87