Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:48:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        new-bus@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCCARD eject freeze (was Re: your mail)

<<On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 11:28:10 -0700, Warner Losh <imp@village.org> said:

> 	Suspend has a similar problem because it can come in while a
> device is sleeping.

The device driver gets informed about suspends (although some broken
drivers don't pay attention).  Every DEVICE_SUSPEND method should
place that device in a quiescent state.

Here's a state table:

NP = Not Present
P = Present
I = Inactive
B = Busy
S = Suspended

	to--------------------------------------
from	NP	P	I	B	S
NP	probe	probe	-	-	-
P	attach	-	attach	-	-
I	-	-	-	open	suspend
B	-	-	close	-	suspend
S	detach	-	resume	resume	-

(In this table, `open' and `close' also include ifconfig or other
analogous behavior for non-device-interface drivers.  There are a few
more gradations which might turn out to be useful as well, but I think
this is the model.)

-GAWollman