Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:42:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Boothman <A.J.Boothman@sms.ed.ac.uk>
To:        Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>
Cc:        Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

Quoting Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>:

> What does your Drive Layout look like?  Is your W2k partition FAT32?
> Has it always been the first partition on the drive, or did you move
> it,
> using something like partition magic?  Is freeBSD in the extended
> partition?
> -Matt
> On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 11:58, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> > Quoting Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>:
> >
> > > It probably is.  You need to put in the win 2k CD and do a repair on
>
> > > your windows install.. unfortunetely this may screw up your freebsd
>
> > > install.

> F1
> repair

> my

I didn't really change much about my system when I installed FreeBSD.

Windows is installed on the whole of the first HDD, and FreeBSD on the whole of
the second. Prior to installing 5.0, the second disc had an old installation of
4.6 that I wasn't using.

When installing, I asked sysinstall to install booteasy on the first drive, but
otherwise leave it unchanged. I removed the existing slice on the second drive
and got sysinstall to create a new slice filling the drive, I then allowed
sysinstall to auto-size the partitions and complete the installation.

I've tried every repair option that I can find on the Win2k CD. I've tried
the "fixboot" and "fixmbr" commands in the recovery console many times, and
despite fixmbr complaining about an "unusual" mbr every time, installing a new
one apparently makes no difference. I eventually managed to remove booteasy
from the first drive so that "NTLDR is missing" appears straight away, but that
is hardly a victory. I even followed Microsoft's instructions in knowledgebase
article 318728 and performed a brand new installation of windows into
c:\tempwin but even this new installation failed to boot with the same problem.
Therefore it would seem that whatever the problem is, Win2k's setup prog either
can't fix it or is oblivious to it. It's looking more and more like I'm going
to have to reformat this drive as I seem to have no way of getting Win2k
operating again, but I'd _really_ like to understand what happened here, not
least to ensure I don't repeat the same problems when I come to try and dual-
boot again!

Apologies for this getting increasingly off-topic, but I can't understand what
I've done wrong here as I've done this many times before with 4.x.

As ever, any light-shedding would be much appricated :)

Thanks.

Andrew