Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:51:47 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 6.4 RC1 locks up solid on first reboot

On Friday 24 October 2008 02:48:13 pm Jo Rhett wrote:
> So I booted up by CD and used Fixit mode to switch the system to boot
> via serial (keyboard detached), but this gathered me even less.
>
> /boot.config: -Dh
> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
> BIOS drive A: is disk0
> BIOS drive C: is disk1
> BIOS drive D: is disk2
> BIOS 639kB/4062144kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
> (root@dessler.cse.b
>
> Plugging back in the monitor after lockup showed only a single char
> more:
> (root@dessler.cse.bu

This confirms it is hanging in one of the two BIOS routines to output a
character.  One thing you can do would be to boot up and do the following:

dd if=/dev/mem bs=0x400 count=1 of=idt.out
dd if=/dev/mem bs=64k iseek=15 count=1 of=bios.out

Then place those files some place I can fetch them.  You might also play with
any BIOS settings you have for serial console redirection to see if they make
a difference.

--
John Baldwin