Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:16:31 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        hiten pandya <hpandya@lycos.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: regarding gaim

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 01:07:48PM -0700, hiten pandya wrote:

> i am converting an application called gaim, which is for
> chatting with people using different protocols, such as
> MSN, Oscar, Napster, Yahoo!, etc..
>
> I came across a licensing issue, the source code/program is
> protected by the GPL License,

If you're working on a port for the FreeBSD Ports Collection
(i.e. /usr/ports), you should note that gaim is already there,
in /usr/ports/net/gaim.  If that port is out-of-date or otherwise
not meeting your needs, you should contact the maintainer,
jim@FreeBSD.org.

There is no problem with the GPL for software in the Ports Collection.
Only more restrictive licenses, like those prohibiting the distribution
of binaries, or modified binaries, or redistribution of sources, etc.
require special handling.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Inertia is a property
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * of matter.