Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:16:05 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Lasse Kaislaniemi <lasse@mutteri.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: doing first time network install

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

> My cable modem is DHCP, and they didn't supply me with *any* information
> regarding the IP of the router, etc.  Seems it all "just works" in Windows
> 2000.
>
> My question is "What pieces of information will the installation program
> need to get to the FTP server and begin the installation?"

Don't worry, it will work fine. Installation program can fetch an IP and
other needed information (default gateway, netmask, etc.) via DHCP. During
installation, you can select an installation media (which, in this case,
is FTP). After then it will ask you to configure network interface by hand
or to try a DHCP configuration.

The only thing you need to know, is the FTP server where from you want to
download the packages. Installation program can give you a list where you
can select a one, so no problems with that neither.

--
Lasse Kaislaniemi / lasse@mutteri.org