Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:19:35 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        mpayne@hpcoatings.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon 7000 & X11 & FreeBSD 4.5 RC

At 12:35 2002/01/27 -0700, Matt Payne wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting this card to work
>successfully. The card is a 32 MB DDR agp card on an Asus A7A266 motherboard

The trouble is apparently not the card, but the motherboard.  I first had
troubles with a Voodoo5, while others were having it work out of the box
using the Voodoo3 driver. So, I downgraded to a G200.   As with the
Voodoo5  it worked with everything save XFree4.x in FreeBSD (everything
being various flavors of Linux,   and MS).  Also worked fine with Solaris
8.  However, with FreeBSD, I was getting the same problems as with the
Voodoo--startx and the machine rebooted with nothing showing in the
log.   That's when I began suspecting the motherboard.  (I never claimed to
be quick)  :)

So, at this point, did another search on deja, using something like Xfree86
4, FreeBSD, A7A266---there were over a thousand hits.  :)

There doesn't seem to be a simple workaround--the ones I tried didn't work,
so I didn't make note of them.   At present, I have it working adequately
with XFree 3.x so, I might try again when they put 4.2 back in ports.  (It
was in briefly, but there were various difficulties, so they put it back to
4.1 as of last week, at least).

It also doesn't seem consistant--that is, of those searches on deja, other
people were having no trouble.  I should add that I haven't looked for new
solutions in at least a month, since, at least with the G200 (though not
the Voodoo) I can get 1024x768 and it's reasonably good.

If you find a simple workaround that is successful, please cc me.

Thanks
Scott Robbins