Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2008 17:58:48 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>, Roger Olofsson <raggen@passagen.se>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Locate command

--------------enig1D46AD73E5EB8D0315E05898

Rem P Roberti wrote:
>> Hello,

D is

>>> Done.  Thanks again.
>> You guys should rather use /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate script
>> to update your locate database.
>=20
> I'm pretty new to all of this, so how does one go about invoking that
> script?

Well, to run it by hand you type:

    /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate

Otherwise it will be run automatically by the periodic(8) system.=20
It is enabled by default:

happy-idiot-talk:~:% grep locate /etc/defaults/periodic.conf=20
# 310.locate
weekly_locate_enable=3D"YES"                              # Update locate=
 weekly

You can create a file /etc/periodic.conf to control turning on
or off or to tweak parameters for any of the periodic scripts.

As the name suggests it's a weekly script, and if you look at
/etc/crontab you will see the line:

15      4       *       *       6       root    periodic weekly

Or in other words, it runs at around 4:15am on Saturdays.

If you wanted to run it every day, then you'ld copy it to
/usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/310.locate, globally substitute
daily_locate for weekly_locate eg. by:

sed -i.bak -e 's/weekly_locate/daily_locate/' \
     /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/310.locate

and then put both 'daily_locate_enable=3D"YES"' and 'weekly_locate_enable=
=3D"NO"' into /etc/periodic.conf

In this case it would be run by the periodic system like so:

1       3       *       *       *       root    periodic daily

that is: at 3:01am every day.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20