Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:49:19 -0800
From:      Mika Nystrom <mika@async.caltech.edu>
To:        "Samuel R. Baskinger" <sbaskinger@lumeta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory leak in 1.5.0 JVM

No, that does seem to fix it, also.  Of course, I have no idea how
many times slower System.gc() is than thread.start()...

Out-running the garbage collector?  I'm not used to Java, but in
Modula-3, the garbage collector gets called when you allocate memory,
is that not how it works in Java?

Hmmm...!

I am testing this code because I am having some trouble with a
long-running server, which spaws a few new threads every two seconds
using Quartz, and I can't for the life of me see why its memory
usage is growing over time (it runs out of its 300 megs after about
two hours).  But it could be something completely different in that
program, of course.

    Mika

class Leakq {

  private static class MyThread extends Thread {
    public void run()
    {

    }
  }

  public static void main (String[] args)
  {
    for(;;) {
      Thread  t = new MyThread();
      t.start();
      /*try { t.join(); } catch (Exception ex) { ; }*/
      System.gc();
    }
  }
}