Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:37:30 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Software RAID 0 and 1? Journaling file system?

Alfred Perlstein writes:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > You may have misunderstood the question.  When a journaling/logging
> > file system crashes, you don't need to run fsck: you replay the log.
> > It makes up for the faster fsck by slower performance all the time.
> > This is probably why nobody has been too concerned about it in the
> > past.
>
> Er.... when you have a logging filesystem you can have an in place
> log, since the superblock points to the last sucessful checkpoint
> you just need to examine all partial segements after the last
> sucessful checkpoint verifying thier completeness.
>
> I don't think you have to sacrifice speed at all as segments
> written out can contain both metadata and data blocks, in fact
> 4.4 BSD's LFS is superior at writing isn't it?

I haven't measured it but having spent much of the last couple of years
using Irix systems with XFS filesystems and FreeBSD, I believe both
systems can do file I/O at about the same rate on identical HD's but XFS
is much faster at metadata than even softupdates. Systems are an SGI O2
R5000 180 MHz with 64MB, FreeBSD 3.0 on a P-II 233 MHz with 64MB. Disks
are identical Seagate 9G, ST19173W (if memory serves).

A good example benchmark would be to extract the FreeBSD ports
directory. Thousands of little files and directories. Another example
would be "du -sk" on a directory with about 40,000 files.