Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2017 00:20:21 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: display base/pkg build options

--mILU9uUGgJHM7M1H0U1vNntXSJe6fhl8r
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--H95HrMTlmT88mHmw8LNAiocse0EJ4qF4x

On 06/02/2017 21:23, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> How does one view which options were used to build a particular
> application either in the base OS or as a pkg?  At the moment I am
> concerned with ntpd which is in the base so pkg has nothing to say.

It's only ports that have OPTIONS as such.  The base system generally
has one preferred way of building an application, possibly with flags
you can set in src.conf to enable or disable building it in its entirety.=

To see the options a port was built with:

   pkg query "%Ok =3D> %Ov" pkgname

(or pkg info -f pkgname, but that shows a lot more than just options.)

Programs imported into base, like ntpd, generally have mechanisms like
autoconf stripped out, and are built to pre-defined settings.  In the
case of ntpd, this is what there is:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/ntp/config.h?revision=3D308=
957&view=3Dmarkup

(that's from the latest HEAD revision as of this writing -- you can find
the equivalent of any of the release branches by plunking around in that
repository.  It's unlikely to be very different on any of the currently
supported release branches though.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew