Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:13:05 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jay West <jlwest@tseinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD??? Intel? - NOT

Jay West wrote:

> Keep in mind that the merced chip was not really designed or created by
> Intel at all.

No, you're confusing terms here.  Merced is a particular chip, like
Tillamook is a specific Pentium.  HP designed the 64-bit architecture
in the Merced, what will become the "IA64", but Intel designed the
Merced chip.

> It was created almost completely by HP (by the same group responsible for
> PA-RISC), with Intel as merely the production facilities. For obvious
> marketing, competitive, and resource reasons both HP and Intel share the
> rights to merced.
>
> As a matter of fact, the standard version of merced includes the PA-RISC
> engine along with an x86 instruction decoder.

It is, in fact, the x86 compatibility mode that has delayed Merced for SO
many years.  HP actually had the 64-bit sort-of-long-instruction word
architecture working when Intel joined in.  To say they're bitter about
the decision now is to understate the case considerably; Merced will ship
with approximately the same performance HP predicted for the original
chip in 95 or 96.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com