Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:57:45 +0930
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera suggestions for FreeBSD 4.1.1

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 08:51:33PM -0500, Jim Graham wrote:

> Here's what I'm looking for:  a digital camera in the $500--$700 price
> range (US dollars), roughly 2 Megapixels (or better), that can interface
> easily with FreeBSD 4.1.1 on a PC platform (USB available...don't know
> how to use it or what to do with it).  Preferably, I'd like one with
> optical zoom, the ability to add/swap lenses (wide angle, telephoto,
> etc.), filters, and so on, but those may well drive it out of my price
> range.  Ability to record MPEGs would be nice, but rarely used.  A decent
> amount of internal memory, and extra NiCad or Li Ion battery packs are
> both in the must-have category.

The Canon IXUS is pretty neat -- tiny little camera with LCD screen with
a Li-Ion battery (I think its Li -- I can't remember exactly). It comes
with an 8MB CF card, which is easilly upgraded to a nMB.

Purchase a SanDisk USB CF Reader (ImageMate II I think they're
called). It works with FreeBSD, and you mount your CF card as another
block device. Just download from there.

Using the SanDisk USB CF Reader, you could choose any other camera that
has a removable CF card (i.e., most of them :-), but the Canon IXUS is
just so incredibly tiny, I can't see any reason for getting something
else :-)

   - andrew

--
void signature () {