Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 14:23:37 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Eric Veraart <eric@monkey-online.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise PDC20265 or FastTrak 100

Eric Veraart wrote:
> I'm still busy finding a motherboard I really like, and now I'm doubting
> between 2 boards: The Gigabyte GA-6VXDR7 or the Tyan Tiger LE (S2515).
> Both are almost identical, except for the chipset (VIA Apollo Pro Family
> AGPset (VT82C694X, VT82C686A) against the ServerWorks ServerSet III LE
> chipset), RAID controller (Promise PDC20265 against the FastTrak 100)
> and the price ;)
> I browsed through the mailinglists, but I couldn't find an answer if the
> RAID controllers would work.

I haven't tried these controllers in RAID mode yet, so I'm not sure. They
seem to work fine when not in RAID mode, however.

> I just use it for simple mirroring. Now I never really used RAID under
> FreeBSD, so can anyone tell me how I should rebuild the HD if one of
> both fails? Or does this go automagicly? (I know, newbie question)

The PDC20265 does NOT do mirroring. It does data striping. Data striping
will speed up your disk access by writing/reading both drives
simultaneously, but DOES NOT provide any fault tolerance. If you need
fault tolerence, either get a more advanced RAID controller, or use
vinum. Vinum works very nicely.

This question should probably go on the -questions mailing list. Please
send additional responses there.

-Bill

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"