Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:55:28 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best wdc0 flags ?

Mike Smith wrote:

> Try taking Soren's advice and cutting your BIOS back to mode3 PIO.  He
> has actual experience with these drives, so I'd be inclined to take his
> word for it.

I thought the BIOS config was overwritten by the wd device as it came up? -
i.e. setup every time? - In fact I thought a lot of the BIOS stuff was just
ignored anyway - and rediscovered at probe time or overwritten by the Kernel
(e.g. floppy drive type etc.)

Of course I do have one complicating factor... None of the drives appear in
the BIOS - if I set them in the BIOS to anything else other than 'Not
installed' the system won't boot off my SCSI drive (sd0) - the IDE's were an
afterthought (and the BIOS doesn't have a 'Boot from SCSI' option :-(

I could put the loader etc. on one of the IDE's, but I'd rather not at this
point...

If DMA is avoiding all the problems I'm probably going to leave it be... I
have another machine to setup soon - pure IDE - and suprise, suprise - it's
also getting a 4.3Gb SE - I'll try out the different BIOS options on that...
(It's also 440FX)...

Regards,

Karl