Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:40:50 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        daniel.beatty@amd.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster 64 AWE and PnP difficulty

On September 12, 2000, daniel.beatty@amd.com sent me the following:
> I am currently setting up a FreeBSD Box at the house and encountered
> difficulty.  The difficulty is with the Soundblaster 64AWE card.  I set up
> the FREEBIE configuration file to Soundblaster 16's settings, and received
> error messages like "DSP failed to reset" and "AWE32 not detected."  I also
> tried the AWE64 set up for version 3.1 (as it is stated on your web site),
> and it did not work either.
> Machine stats:
> Processor: AMD K6-2
> Hard Drive:  2.0 GB
> OS Version: FreeBSD version 4.0 stable.
>
> Could you provide some documentation on this subject?  Also could you
> recommend some good system programming books for computer science students?
> Any and all help is appreciated.

In future you should post your kernel config file with questions of
this type.
All you should need to put in the kernel config for an AWE64 card is
device pcm
device sbc
and it should work fine. Mine does, at any rate.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--