Date:      Sun, 09 Oct 2005 08:30:26 -0700
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        eoghan <freebsd@redry.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port version

eoghan wrote:
> Hello
> I have done some searching but not really found my answer. I was
> wondering if there is a way to check port version? I cvsup'd my ports
> and id like to check version of some ports before I install them...
> I know many have the version in the dir like mysql. But for example /
> usr/ports/X11/kde3/
> I dont know if this is 3.4 or 3.5? I have checked the make file...  But
> I dont see the version.
> Thanks
> Eoghan

There may be easier ways, but this is how I check. For regular ports
(your example is a metaport) you can check distinfo to see which version
of the source files it's downloading.  You can also check
www.freshports.org and see there along with other useful information.
According to freshports, the kde3 in a recently updated ports tree is 3.4.2.

HTH,
Micah