Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:52:44 -0500
From:      Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@hawk.pearson.udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Jaz Woes?

First, let me thank everyone who helped me out with getting this Jaz
drive up and running.  The words of encouragement were as helpful as the
suggestions.

I'm getting some flakey results, and I was wondering if someone could
tell me where they think they're coming from.  Now, whenever I try to
decompress a large file onto the Jaz drive, the file will uncompress,
than after a few seconds, my machine will hang and reboot.  8(

The latest instance that I can think of is when I was uncompressing the
netcon tarball earlier today.

I think that it may be the PAS16 SCSI interface that's causing a
bottleneck somewhere, or it may need to be tweaked.  For some reason,
I'm getting parity errors and dma timeouts from nca0.  I've included the
relevant dmesg output at the bottom of this message.

Any and all pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

        --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos                %  "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu         %   thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@canary.pearson.udel.edu  %   drives my desires."    (8

FreeBSD 2.2-961014-SNAP #0: Sun Oct 27 21:58:06 EST 1996
    alexandr@hawk.pearson.udel.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/HAWK
    .
    .
    .
nca0 at 0x1f88-0x1f8b irq 10 on isa
nca0: type ProAudioSpectrum-16
nca0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(nca0:3:0): "NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:400 2.0" type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(nca0:3:0): CD-ROM cd present [310422 x 2048 byte records]
(nca0:4:0): "iomega jaz 1GB H.71" type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd0(nca0:4:0): Direct-Access
sd0(nca0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd0 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
1021MB (2091050 512 byte sectors)
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 parity error
nca0/4/0 too many parity errors, not logging any more
nca: pseudo-dma timeout
nca: pseudo-dma timeout
nca: pseudo-dma timeout
sd0(nca0:4:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
sd0(nca0:4:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred