Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:03:08 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: expat2 in the base system?

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> > In message <p0511170fb9c130cfa786@[128.113.24.47]>, Garance A Drosihn
> writes:
> >
> > Any famous last words before the fat lady sings ?
>
> My biggest concern is the minority of users installing expat2 from
> ports/packages and then not being able to figure out how to use it, since
> they always get expat1 since /usr/bin comes before /usr/local/bin in $PATH.
> I'm sure there will also be issues with autoconf-based ports that don't do
> proper version checking of libraries which will pick up static libs /
> headers from /usr instead of /usr/local as well.

Isn't that something that should be incorporated into the system at
install time, that /usr/local/bin always should have precedence over
/usr/bin? And this shouldn't be something you would have to change
manually?

As /usr/local/bin always contains newer versions than /usr/bin, if an
application is installed that also is in the base system,
/usr/local/bin should always "win" over /usr/bin.

Or are there some disadvantages over this?

Best regards,
Paul