Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

> > 	You should only have to do it once. Just do it for everything that
> > you care about.
>
> OK, this is one thing I'm still unclear about. "Do it once" when? After
> a new install, and 'sysinstall' is done with it? Once after an upgrade?
> Once after every upgrade, or just once after a new install?

	Only one of those actually qualifies as "once."  :)

> How does this differ from current (i.e., 4.5-REL) practice? I'm still
> at a loss as to how what you're prescribing is different from past and
> present practices, given what [little] I've learned about your change
> since my first post.

	I think the problem here is that way more heat than light has been
thrown up around this change. My suggestion does not differ from what
people _should_ do after an install (IMO), but the problem is that not
many people ever get (or choose to follow) that advice.

> I honestly didn't notice whether 'inetd' was on or off by default in
> 4.5-REL; I told 'sysinstall' to do no networking at all, preferring to
> set it up manually after the new install.
>
> Is your change going to alter things to the point where I won't "be at
> home" doing this, should I choose to?

	Nope. Sounds like you're on the right track.

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?