Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 2020 13:14:13 -0700
From:      Bruce Ferrell <bferrell@baywinds.org>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: can a domain name config point to a vlan tag at the host

On 8/15/20 6:29 AM, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> I set up vlan for the host interface cabled to the public internet.
> How do I drive internet traffic to the desired vlan name on the host using a registered domain name?
>
> My rc.conf has this
>
> ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
> gateway_enable="YES"
>
> vlans_re0="1 2 3"
>
> # vlan_1  is for the host
> # vlan_2  is for vnet jailA
> # vlan_3  is for vnet jailB
>
> Final goal is to drive traffic from the public internet using a fqdn to the vnet jailA.

Ernie

This isn't a DNS issue at all.  All DNS does is map IP addresses to names.  VLANs operate at frame layer. VLANs are be used to separate LAN traffic.

A IP address can be on a VLAN1.  If the NIC is configured to look for traffic on VLAN1 it will see it.  Otherwise it will simply be discarded.

If you have traffic on VLAN1 and want it to go to VLAN2, you have to have some means of routing between the VLANs