Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:50:46 +0000
From:      "D. Penev" <dpenev@mail.bg>
To:        G Norm <gnorm@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confused with make installworld

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 02:15:03PM -0400, G Norm wrote:
>Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:15:03 -0400
>Subject: Confused with make installworld
>From: G Norm <gnorm@mac.com>
>To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>Hello,

Hi.

>I am trying to cvsup to 4.6 release. I performed the following task
>after installing from a 4.4 CD.
>
>cd /etc/cvsupfile
>*default host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
>*default base=/usr
>*default prefix=/usr
>*default release=cvs
>*default tag=RELENG_4_6_0_RELEASE
>*default delete use-rel-suffix
>
>src-all
>*default tag=.
>ports-all
>doc-all
>
># /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile
>This part of the update worked fine.
>

>#edit /etc/make.conf
>CFLAGS= -0 -pipe
>NOPROFILE=	true	# Avoid compiling profiled libraries
>saved changes
>
># script ~/buildworld.out
>Script started, output file is ~/buildworld.out
># make buildworld
>got an error message - 'cannot make buildworld'
>
>I continued the upgrade because I think this is optional.
>
># cd /usr/src
># make -j4 buildworld
># make buildkernel
># make installkernel
>reboot to single user mode
>
>#cd /usr/src
>directory not found.
>  I was not able to do a make installworld because there is no /usr/src.
>/usr only have hidden files. In full user mode /usr/src is there with
>several files and directories.

I guess that /usr is in separate file system and needs to be mounted first.
Do:
# /sbin/mount -a

>I then rebooted back into full user mode. During the boot process I
>noticed my system is using FreeBSD 4.6 Release.
>
>Can someone tell me what's happening here? How can I be using 4.6
>release without running make installworld? Have I done something wrong,
>if so what?

Kernel is 4.6 because you make installkernel (this move 4.4 kernel to
/kernel.old and copy new one to /kernel), but userland programs are still 4.4
and you will get in troubles with some programs that aren't in sync with 4.6
kernel, unless you make installworld.

>Thanks
>Greg

And don't forget to run mergemaster at the final.

--
Regards,
D. Penev