Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:06:09 -0000
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Arnar_Mar_Sigur=F0sson?= <antab@valka.is>
To:        "Wojciech A. Koszek" <wkoszek@freebsd.org>, "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Recommendations for PC based logic analyzer / grabbers?

-----Original Message-----
Koszek
> Sent: Tue 10/14/2008 7:38 PM
> To: Bruce M. Simpson
> Cc: freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Recommendations for PC based logic analyzer / grabbers?
=20
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 09:38:39AM +0100, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a good, inexpensive source for PC-based logic =
analyzers?
> >=20
> > Don't need full PCI capture, full state analysis, or anything like =
that:
> > being able to look at peripheral buses, e.g. a CFI flash parallel =
bus, LPC,=20
> > ISA, i2c, and/or 10/100Mbit MDIO interfaces would be most useful.
> >=20
> > This guy has covered some of the grabber bases, however being able =
to get=20
> > at really small arbitrary layouts e.g. with miniature pogo pins =
would be=20
> > even better:
> >    http://www.knjn.com/ShopCablesProbing.html
> >=20
> > I see a lot of Chinese USB2 based stuff popping up on eBay. Trouble =
is of=20
> > course, they require Windows, and they don't have grabbers I can =
easily=20
> > attach to hardware with the probe cables.
> >=20
> Trouble with MiniLA is, whilst the designs are public, no one seems to =
be=20
> manufacturing them. I found Tony Bybell, the maintainer of GTKWave, is =

> responsive and helpful to queries.
>=20
> My needs are exactly the same.
>=20
> So I'm willing to see any recommendations as a responses to your mail.
>=20
> If any of you have any expirience with PC-based PCI/USB oscilloscopes =
which are
> student-affordable, please share as well. Ideally, it would be a =
hardware being
> able to measure signals up to 50-60Mhz.
>=20
> I did however a bit of Googling and this was one of the most =
interesting=20
> devices:
>=20
> 	http://www.pctestinstruments.com/
>=20
> Unfortunately, this product works only under Windows and the company's =
response
> about any kind of support for POSIX-compliant systems was *very* =
strong "NO".
> They claimed they have several clients working with their product =
under Wine and
> VMWare.

I've also been looking for a "cheap" USB logic analyzer, but the problem =
with most
is the Windows only support. I was going to buy one of thous and try to =
reverse
engineer the communication protocol:
http://www.easysync.co.uk/index.html?lang=3Den-uk&target=3Dd17.html

But if anyone knows of any that supports bsd out of the box then it =
would be great
if anyone could point them out.