Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 1997 13:04:39 +0800 (SGT)
From:      sweeting@tm.net.my
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   solved Re : virtual sendmail domains with specific users in each domain ?

Not really solved - but an answer at least.
Just posting here for the sake of the archive in case anyone else
has this problem/question.  My apologies for troubling you all
with what must have been a trivial unix question and for
using up more bandwidth now.
Thanks to Gregory Shapiro (from sendmail list/org) for answer :

[snip]

>sendmail is not the limited factor here, UNIX is.  You must have unique
>usernames, therefore one UNIX machine can't have two fred accounts since it
>won't know which one to use when 'fred' tries to login.  You can create two
>accounts on the box (fredreal and fredvirt) and have virtusertable entries for
>those:
>
>fred@virtual.com        fredvirt
>fred@real.com           fredreal

>>I have set up virtual sendmail domains as per the many postings
>>and faqs, using additions to S98 in sendmail.cf and
>>a DB file for the mapping.
>>
>>Now I can have 2 domains on my FreeBSD box : real.com and virtual.com
>>
>>I have no problems making mail go from :
>>info@real.com       to      user@otherdomain.com (not on the freebsd box)
>>info@virtual.com   to      user@otherdomain.com
>>help@real.com       to      fred (local user on the freebsd box)
>>help@real.com       to      fred
>>
>>but now i find that fred exists (and can send and collect mail) as
>>fred@real.com    and   fred@virtual.com
>>
>>but i want these fred's to be different users. ie. fred@real.com
>>and fred@virtual.com  have different passwords, different mail boxes,
>>and belong to different people.
>>
>>(at the moment i can send mail to fred@real.com
>>and fred@virtual.com and it is one and the same user.)
>>
>>Is this possible to have this on the one FreeBSD box ?

[/snip]