Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:53:40 -0400
From:      "Stephen C. Comoletti" <stevec@delanet.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   scsi errors on Qlogic 1040b controller

I've noticed a number of errors recently which have me somewhat worried.
Wondering if someone can explain them for me or direct me to where I can
find a description.

The server is a DEC 300i+ p2/300 with 256mb ram, a Qlogic 1040b scsi
controller on MB with a 2gig DEC scsi2 as boot drive and Tecmar travan
ns-20 tr5 tape drive, Adaptec 2944uw with a Metastor external raid array
(symbios series 3 controller in the external case).

The error occurs when my nightly backup runs from a script I made. It
tars various directories on the 2gig into a tarball on the external
raid. It has occured 5 times before I noticed it, and the 2gig drive
crashed with the /usr partition badly damaged. No logs were written when
this occured so I do not know the error messages when the server
crashed.

Error is as follows:

Sep 16 23:59:51 metis /kernel: (da0:isp0:0:0:0): READ(06). CDB: 8 15 d3
4f 80 0
Sep 16 23:59:51 metis /kernel: (da0:isp0:0:0:0): RECOVERED ERROR
info:15d359 asc:18,1
Sep 16 23:59:51 metis /kernel: (da0:isp0:0:0:0): Recovered data with
error corr. & retries applied field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,7

If you could cc me in any replies as I'm not on this list it would be
appreciated.

--
Stephen Comoletti
Systems Administrator