Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 17:43:29 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        shag@concentric.net
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE or Ultra SCSI

>SCSI can still only access two devices at any given time, one initiator
><usually, but not always the host adapter> and one target. SCSI II
>allows for "disconnect" which means a drive can aquire a queue of
>commands, remove itself from the bus, and reattatch when finished
>processing those commands, but it obviously is no help for read/write
>operations. :-) It does speed things up, but not quite to the extent I
>believe you are thinking of.

Although it is nice for long seek operations on devices such as
CD-ROMs, tapes, scanners, etc, etc.

And the bus mastering issue is wonderful for multimedia, but its
effectiveness is lessened without disconnect.

>> Or I could buy an 8x SCSI CD-ROM for twice the price of the same model
>> drive with IDE interface.  Sigh.
>A CD-ROM <until 16x and higher hit> was always so slow that there would
>be little improvement and I had these IDE busses "rusting" on my board,
>so I have always gone ATAPI for CD-ROM, but with 16x, I'm not so sure
>about that. I would say for 8x, don't bother with SCSI if you already
>have the bus, and you get the added bonus of accessing IDE and SCSI in
>parallel. i.e: read from the CD and write to the drive simultaneously.

Really?  I have a decent number of CD-ROM games that rely heavily on
multimedia operations, and my old Texel 2x CD-ROM kept up with apps
that normally wanted a 4x with no sweat.  I had attributed this to
disconnect and bus mastering, myself.

>I have run three mixed IDE/SCSI machines, and used to work for FWB
>Software, who makes IDE and SCSI device drivers for Mac and Windows, and
>never have I seen a true benchmark that puts equivalent EIDE drives near
>enough to SCSI performance to warrant consideration, except for the
>newer 7200 RPM EIDE that have come out. Of course, I'm also the guy they
>used to play "guess the drive speed" with at work, because after 1/2
>hr-45 minutes I could tell you which was the fastest/slowest drive on a
>system with differences of only a couple of ms, so I'm a tad biased. :-)

But for drives, benchmarks rarely are a good indicator of RL performance.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the Free Software Foundation's.

Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi
sendmail: segmentation violation -- core dumped