Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 00:13:16 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Craig Beasland <craig@hotmix.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Problems

> Hi there,
>
> I am having a problem with connecting to my ISP using userland ppp.
>
> My story:
> I have been using a dialup modem connection 28.8 using userland ppp and
> scripted logins, no problem.  I then upgraded to 64K ISDN using an external
> T/A (ISDN Modem) and at the same time converted over to CHAP authentication.
> After some fiddling I got that to work for about 4 months.  Now I want to
> upgrade to 128K ISDN.  My provider tells me that I need multilink PPP.  No
> problem I upgraded my version from 0.94 1997/05/10 to the newest version 2.0
> 1998/08/29.
>
> My problem:
> Before I installed the new version of ppp I took a copy of the old ppp
> program so that I wouldn't get stuck.  If I dial using the old copy
> origppp -ddial myisp - everything works fine (except fore rror messages for
> the new log commands. Using the new ppp and I cannot authenticate myself.
> ppp -ddial myisp dials, connects and fails to authenticate.  I have included
> the relevant (I hope) bits of the log file.
>
> Also:
> My understanding was the the T/A would handle the multilink ppp part and
> userland ppp would deal with it.  Apparently not, so any thoughts on
> multilink ppp using v2 of the ppp program and an external T/A.
>
> I am dialling into a cisco router and I am using a Crusader modem (the same
> as the bit surfer pro from what I understand).

The chap problem is stressed all over the place in
the [latest] documentation... you're asking your ISP to authenticate
themselves, they're agreeing and failing.  Don't ``enable'' chap -
It's ``accept''ed by default which will work in your case.  Just ``set
 authname'' and ``set authkey''.  Summary: remove ``enable chap''.

Also, it looks like your TA isn't doing the multilink stuff.  I know
nothing about TAs, but the ones that notice the ppp negotiations on
the fly and do the multilink side of things transparently should not
be passing the MRRU option through.  Yours is.  This is probably some
sort of config option on the TA.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;