Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:31:04 -0700
From:      "Westrate, Andrew J" <andrew.j.westrate@intel.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Boot easy question

Hi,

I installed 2.2.6 on my home computer, which has Windows 98 installed on it
(on a FAT32 disk).  On a second ide hard disk, I installed FreeBSD.

Since Win 98 has to boot from the primary master ide drive, I made FreeBSD
the primary slave, and installed the boot manager on that drive.  then I set
that drive to boot first in the BIOS.

So, what I get with this configuration is a screen which says:

F1:	BSD
F5:	Disk 2

pressing either of these then boots FreeBSD, but it is aiming for
0:wd(0,a)kernel rather than 0:wd(1,a)kernel (which I have to type each time
at the boot prompt or it will panic because it can't mount root).  In order
to go back to Win 98 I have to reboot, and then go back into the BIOS setup
program, which isn't too convenient.

So my two questions are:

1)  Can I somehow fix the boot manager so that it knows Win 98 is wd0 and
BSD is wd1?  I have tried installing the boot manager to the win 98 disk,
(using the bootinst.exe program with the boot.bin file provided on the CD),
but win 98 booted the same as before.  Is there a way I can edit the
boot.bin file to customize it for my computer?

2)  If I can't, how can I make FreeBSD boot 0:wd(1,a)kernel by default, so I
don't have to type it in each time?

Thanks,
Andy Westrate