Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 22:55:02 +1030 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent), freebsd-current@freebsd.org, davo@chunga.kt.apana.org.au
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-SNAP-970118

In article <Mutt.19970126173434.davidn@labs.blaze.net.au> you wrote:
: "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" writes:
: > I have noticed that the adduser command under this SNAP does not
: > correctly add users to /etc/group.  I have to manually edit this file to
: > get users to correspond to their respective groups.

: Are you talking about primary or secondary group memberships?

: A user's primary group membership should not appear in /etc/groups
: if that group's uid is in /etc/master.passwd. That is redundant.

: The only exception to this is when adding a member to group wheel.
: su only looks at /etc/group in this case (which, actually, I consider
: a bug, but not a large one).

 I thought this interesting so asked a friend and he pointed me at
 the getgrnam() func.

 After a quick look at that code I'd say something is broken :)

 Since getgrnam() returns a struct with a list of group members, but
 it doesn't seem to touch /etc/passwd then i guess if a member is
 in a group they should be in /etc/group if they want to be
 indentified as such?

 I'm not sure what depends on all this stuff.. but there seems to
 be something inconsistent here... [its a feature god-damn-it!]

 Regards,
   Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds