Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 10:28:59 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Eddie White <ewhite@ms1.nwla.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install dies

Eddie White wrote:

> when i posted my first message, we were dog tired and so maybe i didn't
> leave enough info.
>
> trying to install fbsd 2.1.5 (i bought the cd and never used it) on a
> gateway 2000, 486dx2, western dig ide drive (520m) and 16m ram.
>
> during the install we loaded win95 just to test the hardware; all worked ok.
>
> we built the boot floppy.  the box boots and we can go through all the disk
> partition stuff (novice mode, we come from at&t 3B world).  when we commit
> to the install, it says its loading drivers, etc. to the hard drive.  we
> then get a window talking about copying /documentation and it hangs with 1%.
> we see a burst of activity on the cd, a burst of activity on the hd, and
> that's it.
>
> we have tried different partion settings, with and without win95; the same
> result.
>
> anyone got any ideas?  i rule out a hardware problem since win95 loads and
> runs fine.

Does this machine has a CMD640 EIDE controller by any chance (I think
Win95 will tell you that, as will the probe messages printed when you
boot FreeBSD's install floppy). If this is the case, put the disk you're
installing to and the CD you're installing from on the *same* IDE
channel and disable the secondary IDE channel when you install. Later
on, built a new kernel with
options	"CMD640"

in it.

Nadav