Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2006 20:57:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828@yahoo.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Various package/ports problems

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote: On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 02:00:20PM -0700, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

>Kris >Check the manpage, probably I meant pkgdb -fu
>
> Sorry, i dont understand what im checking hte manpage to
> have it do. Running pkgdb -fu does rebuild the package
> database, but i get the same Bus Error thing from Ruby
> as above.

>Kris: Running which version of portupgrade?  Also try 'cd
> /usr/ports; make
> fetchindex' first.

No difference; its portupgrade version 2.0.1 (as reported
by portupgrade --version).

> But i dont want to remove mysql-server-4.1.20, because this seems
> to be the version that is actively running on this machine, and i dont
> want to disable it. Same for apache+mod_ssl, which accounts for
> alot of the other conflicts.

> Kris: You need to recognize that you've got the system into a
>damaged state
> already, so it's going to take further intrusive work to repair it.

True. But the system does WORK now, and id rather not
make it NOT WORK in the process of making it easier to
upgrade ports.

> Also, when i try to delete one of the ports that seemed less
> critical, even that didnt work:
> ~ $ sudo pkg_delete -f jade-1.2.1_9
> pkg_delete: package 'jade-1.2.1_9' is required by these other packages
> and may not be deinstalled (but I'll delete it anyway):
> sgmlformat-1.7_2
> pkg_delete: read_plist: bad command '@conflicts sp-1.*'
> ~
>
> ...and jade-1.2.1_9 is still there.
>
> Thank you again for your continued attention, Kris.

> Kris: What happens if you try to reinstall it from the port, setting
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER?
Oh yes! This does work. After this worked i went and reinstalled
all the ports listed, and now pkg_info (and pkg_delete, etc.) is working correctly. Thanks!
Something working at last.

So now i can find out what version each port is, but that doesnt
help me know whether these are outdated, or to update them.
For that im still stuck on the Ruby core dump problem. I did
reinstall portupgrade, ruby18, and the ruby-bdb thing, but sadly
i still get the same abort trap/core dump thing ive reported all
along. Is there any other way i can attack this last issue?

Thanks.

Jen