Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 15:07:44 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: phoenix / firebird port

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 09:04:17AM -0400, Trevor Johnson wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 11:31, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The attached diff produced a working firebird for me, after a
> > > cp -Rp phoenix firebird.
> > >
> > > I haven't really looked at the generated plist though, so packaging e=
rrors
> > > could have slipped in. Hope this diff is of some help though.
> >
> > Thanks!  However, you've slipped in some changes like phoenix@ -->
> > firebird@.  The latter doesn't exist yet, and will most likely be
> > removed altogether in lieu of gnome@.  I've sent a repo move request,
> > and once that's taken care of, I'll work on the update.
>=20
> Firebird and Phoenix are the same program.  As explained on the program's
> home page, the name was changed because of legal problems.  It used to be
> customary to consult with the maintainer of the existing FreeBSD port
> before creating a new port for a succeeding version of the same program.
> It was a good custom, I think--especially in a case such as this where it
> sounds as though you are proposing to completely remove the existing port.

alane@ set the maintainer of phoenix to gnome@FreeBSD.org recently (r1.44 of
phoenix/Makefile), which is why I sent this diff to gnome@ instead of sendi=
ng
it to phoenix@.

--Stijn

--=20
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, whilst
all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good
time. But conversely the dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent
than man for precisely the same reasons.
		-- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW--