Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:05:34 -0600
From:      Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixed: LyX 1.1.5.2 dumping core

Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net> wrote:

} On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 01:28:03PM -0600, Patrick Hartling wrote:
}
} > ldd was telling me that it had both libc.so.3 and libc.so.5 which seemed
} > very bad to me.  When I recomipled LyX to see if that would fix things,
} > I noticed that ld was giving a warning about libc.so.3 and libc.so.5
} > potentially conflicting.  It hadn't ever been a problem before, but it
} > doesn't seem like the safest arrangment.  With the symlink in place, ldd
} > reports that only libc.so.5 is being used, and everything seems to be
} > okay.
}
} Something that LyX is linking to is depending on libc v3.  You should
} rebuild all of the dependencies, and then rebuild LyX.

Yes, I think it's the xforms library which is distributed only in binary
form.  All of the ports I build myself are linking to libc.so.4 (they
were built before the version number was bumped) or to libc.so.5.  The
xforms website doesn't seem to have anything built for newer versions
of FreeBSD.  I just have to be patient while the LyX developers work on
moving away from xforms to Motif or GTK+ or anything better.

 -Patrick

Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@137.org				| 2624 Howe Hall -- (515)294-4916
http://www.137.org/patrick/		| http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/