Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:35:05 -0500
From:      "Bosko Milekic" <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: Second zone allocator patch

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> http://people.freebsd.org/~des/software/vm_zone-20010122.diff
>
> This replaces the simplelock in vm_zone with a mutex, and adds a
> subsystem mutex that must be held when manipulating zlist (which is
> now an SLIST).
>
> Stuff that remains to be done:
>
>  - use atomic operations for updating the statistics counters.

    Can you get away with grouping the changes to these counters while
holding the zlist lock? If so, you can get rid of the necessity for the
atomic() ops.

>  - implement vm_zone_init2() and find the right place to call it from,
>    to remove the need for zinitna().
>
>  - make the rest of the VM system thread-safe so we can dispense with

    I can't believe you actually said this publically. :-) Now you're going
to have to assume responsability for it. :-P

>    the Giant hackery in zinitna() and _zget().
>  - add a mail reader (accessible through the sysctl interface).

    Port it to OpenBSD when you're done, and send it to Theo. CC -chat for
entertainment purposes. :-)