Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 18:48:19 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
Cc:        ISDN-List <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: configuring a SPPP Dailin Server?

David Wetzel writes:
>Hi,
>
>I want to set up sppp dail in on my NetBSD i4b box.
>
>on the client I have this:
>
>isp0: flags=a015<UP,DEBUG,POINTOPOINT,LINK1,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet 192.168.0.1 --> 192.168.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00
>
>and used:
>
>spppcontrol isp0 myauthproto=pap myauthname=alice myauthsecret=bla
>                  hisauthproto=none callin
>
>on the server, I get this in /var/log/messages:

[snip - PAP fails]
>Where does i4b's sppp store the passwords? Is there a special /etc/ppp/ file
>that holds the passwords? Or have I to add a user in /etc/passwd?

AFAIK the authentication information can only be passed into the kernel
using spppcontrol. The authentication is handled in if_spppsubr.c, not
in user-land.

This basically means that only one system can long into an isp interface,
since the kernel does not support multiple authorization entries per
interface.

You must specify hisauthproto, hisauthname and hisauthsecret for dial-in.

One way around this would be to use Brian Somer's PPPoISDN.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de garyj@fkr.cpqcorp.net gj@freebsd.org