Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:47:32 +0100
From:      Sean Engel <sean@icubed.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disk Mirroring setup

I am attempting to set up disk mirroring on a FreeBSD 2.2.6 machine and it
does not seem to want to work for me.  Every time I reboot the machine (or
run /sbin/ccdconfig -C), I get the following messages:

ccd0: mirror/parity forces uniform flag
ccdconfig: ioctl (CCDIOCSET): /dev/ccd0c: Inappropriate file type or format

The way that the system is currently configured:

1 Connor 540 MB SCSI drive (509 MB FreeBSD partition)
1 Digitial 540 MB SCSI drive (509 MB FreeBSD partition)

Both drives are broken up as follows:

32 MB for /		(/dev/sd0s1a)
64 MB for swap		(/dev/sd0s1b)
32 MB for /var		(/dev/sd0s1e)
balance for /usr	(/dev/sd0s1f)

Only the information for drive 0 is in fstab.  The contents of
/etc/ccd.conf are:

# ccd		ileave	flags	component devices
ccd0		65536	0x04	/dev/sd0c /dev/sd1c

Should I have somthing like ccd0a with devices of /dev/sd0s1a and
/dev/sd1s1a?  Is there any value of the interleave that is better than any
other for mirrored disks?

Thanks in advance