Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 11:57:58 +0200
From:      "Adriaan Rossouw" <adriaanr@abraxas365.com>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Solution to Quake3 + SBLive, and strange occurence

I mailed the list yesterday questioning about support for the pcm driver and
Quake3.
Upon arriving home, i recompiled my kernel WITHOUT the pcm driver, opting
instead
for using the kernel mod.

Before running quake3, i just do 'kldload snd_emu10k1' and the sound works..
sort of.

I have this bizarre occurence, where with every succesive sample. the sound
becomes
slightly 'unsynched' , just as the sound is totally unsynched, it jumps back
to normal.

I can illustrate this by moving up and down the menu, the sound produced by
highlighting
a menu option starts sounding right. then the menu sound starts getting
shorter , being
replaced by a garbage noise : ie , playing random bytes. (something like cat
/dev/urandom > /dev/dsp)
only shorter. the sample still plays for the same length, but is getting
corrupted. OR
the place the sample is stored in memory is moved slightly , OR the place
where the sound driver
starts playing the sample moves.
The third option seems to me likely because i remember reading somehting
about synching problems in
dsp.c.

I totally forgot to note wether the sound gets clipped from the front or the
back. ie:
 <sound:10ms> ; <garbage:1ms><sound:9ms>;<garbage:2ms><sound:8ms> ...
or
 <sound:10ms> ; <sound:9ms><garbage:1ms>;<sound:8ms><garbage:2ms>< ...

regardless of which, the sound still returns to the normal state after the
garbage totally replaces the sound for
one occurence.

On another note, i still have manages to get quake-gl running with sound.

Adriaan