Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:15:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD benefit from MacOS X ZFS?

--621616949-630750762-1200557715=:51764

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> Wes Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org> writes:
>
>> As the subject says... Can FreeBSD benefit from the macos port of zfs? I=
=20
>> know this is a VERY new announcement, but not knowing much about macos x=
 in=20
>> general I'm wondering how much it might help our tree, with respect to b=
oth=20
>> the memory and 32-bit issues. Just throwing it out there for discussion,=
 if=20
>> anyone has any knowledge of both.
>
> Did you miss the part where Apple no longer sell 32-bit computers?

Actually, the first generation MacBook/MacBook Pro's donly have 64-bit=20
support, and both the kernel and user address spaces are 32-bit on those=20
systems.  They did, however, have PAE to support larger physical memories.=
=20
More recent Intel Macs have 64-bit address support for userspace but 32-bit=
=20
kernels.  Unlike with FreeBSD, the Mac OS X kernel runs in its own dedicate=
d=20
32-bit address space rather than splitting a single 32-bit address space wi=
th=20
userspace.  This leads to greater system call overhead (system calls requir=
e a=20
full context switch) but much more kernel address space.  My impression has=
=20
been that Apple has also had challenges dealing with ZFS's run-away resourc=
e=20
use, however...

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge
--621616949-630750762-1200557715=:51764--