Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:38:54 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Morley <mark@islandnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS pool on FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE broken?

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Mark Morley <mark@islandnet.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a small backup server (8.2-STABLE). =A0It boots from ufs and has a=
 zfs pool for backups that consists of 8 drives configured as 4 mirrored de=
vices, totally around 2.5 TB.

> Been working great, no issues, until the past few days when remote rsyncs=
 to it have started to get very slow (it's only at around %50 capacity). =
=A0Rebooting it helps for a while, then it gets slow again. =A0But this isn=
't the problem now...

> After the last reboot, it froze while booting right at the point where th=
e file system gets mounted. =A0No errors, it just doesn't proceed past the =
ZFS version message.

> I rebooted single user and tried to access it with "zpool status", and th=
e command hangs in the same way. =A0Any attempt to access it ("zfs list", f=
or example) does the same thing.

> The disks themselves seem fine. =A0They are all connected to a pair of Ad=
aptec RAID controllers (configured as individual drives, with mirroring han=
dled by zfs) and the controller software shows them all to be intact.

> I disabled zfs in rc.conf and was able to boot, but I can't access the po=
ol.

> Any ideas on how to diagnose and hopefully repair this?

Your going to need to download a recent -CURRENT ISO that contans zfs
v28, then you can try to recover the pool as outlined in this post
http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=3D445269

zpool import -nfF -R /mnt rpool

If it reports that it can get back to good pool state, then do actual
import with

zpool import -fF -R /mnt rpool

In case first command cannot rewind to older state, try to add -X option:

zpool import -nfFX -R /mnt rpool

and if it says that it can recover your pool with some data loss and you
are ok with it, then do actual import

zpool import -fFX -R /mnt rpool

Note: I haven't given this a try on my system yet, let me know how it goes =
;-).

Scot