Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 1995 20:40:39 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

Hi,

> So, how are people mounting 1991's (etc.)?  In file server cases??
> Seems like a bit of overkill...

I use single height enclosures with the front panel removed (ie the blockout
used for things like tape drives).  In its place I put a foam filter to catch
dust.  This allows airflow directly across the top of the drive.  I also
get a GOOD fan from someplace like Digikey.  Panasonic makes a line of
ball-beaing fans with much higher rated air-flows that the ones typically
found in disk cabinents.  The oem fans also usually die in short order, which
will fry a disk quite quickly. You do pay for it with increased fan noise!

I am running a MC3243W (4GB 7200rpm) in one of these and the temp of the
outlet
air is little warmer than that from the older MC2217s I have (in same type
cabinents).  The top of the cabinet is no warmer than room temp.

Check out:

 http://www.freebsd.org/~faulkner/multimedia/HomeAuto/Therm.html

I might actually get back to finish this soon.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD