Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:37:56 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   More than 32 signals. Thought?

[cc'd to David E. Cross (crossd@cs.rpi.edu) and James Raynard
(jraynard@freebsd.org)]

I'm thinking about extending the number of signals. I like your thoughts
and opinions.

Why more than 32 signals?

Primarily because Linux now uses more than 32 signals and I'm going to run
into trouble in the Linuxulator. Also, NetBSD has increased its signals to
128.

How do you want to do it?

Basicly what I'm going to do is rewrite the signalling code to use a new
sigset_t and provide new syscalls to use it. The current syscalls convert
between the current and the new types for compatibility. I think I'm going
to borrow a thought or two from Linux which allows further increasing of
the number of signals without rewriting the logic, but that's basicly
undecided yet and open for discussion.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/