Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:07:31 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup and file permissions

Christopher Masto wrote:

> Basically, I maintain one copy of the CVS tree on our big server with
> cvsup, and use remote CVS+ssh to check stuff out onto other machines.
> Because CVS needs write access, I have set up a group for the users
> that have permission to do this sort of thing.  The problem is that cvsup
> keeps taking the group permissions away when it updates the repository.
>
> chris@cheddar:~$ ls -l /usr/cvs/freebsd/

Guess 1 (most likely): You need to change the permissions on
/usr/cvs/freebsd to 775, and make sure it's owned by the right user and
group.

Guess 2 (might be both): Change your umask before using cvsup to update
the tree. I had a similar problem in a different environment and just
wrote a little wrapper script to set the umask the way I wanted it and
called cvsup with arguments. If you need help with this just let me
know.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!