Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:17:25 -0800
From:      "Sean Hamilton" <sh@bel.bc.ca>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IP addresses of bridge interfaces

Greetings,

I recently upgraded a FreeBSD 4.6.2 bridge to 5.0, and am having troubles
with how it handles IP addresses.

   router

     | t1

   [fxp0]
FreeBSD bridge
   [fxp1]

  switch

   hosts

The problem is that if the external interface is assigned an address, then
hosts on the same block can't access it. Likewise if the internal interface
is given an address, *only* hosts on the same block can access it! I have
verified that in both cases the bridge has its default route correctly set.

I won't be too suprised if this is due to screwey ISP routing, but I don't
recall this ever being a problem with 4.6.2.

Any tips?

thanks,

sh