Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 10:48:08 +0800 (CST)
From:      "ASKS S.H. Zhong" <aska@arts.nthu.edu.tw>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        aska@arts.nthu.edu.tw
Subject:   ports/38396: jikes option "-encoding" does not work and solution

>Number:         38396
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       jikes option "-encoding" does not work and solution
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD seawind.sinica.edu.tw 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Tue Feb 19 13:17:47 CST 2002 root@seawind.sinica.edu.tw:/ARCHIVE/share/tmp/obj/usr/src/sys/SEAWIND i386

	After compiling jikes from ports, you will find it has no "-encoding"
option. The "-encoding" option is import for java programer of non-English
country. Without the "-encoding" option, the jikes compiled java program cannot
show non-English strings correctly. (ex. Japanese, Chinese...blahblah)

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Install ports/devel/icu and do a little modify to the original
configure file.
Replace all "-licu-uc" with "-licuuc".
Finally, run configure with
CPPFLAGS="-pthread -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib".