Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 23:43:39 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
Cc:        Eblan Y Farris <eyfarris@gdwest.gd.com>, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netsite communications server works Great

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.950824180728.7077C-100000@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>, "Don
's FList drop" writes:
>Yes, the commerce server has this. I'll be dumping it soon to put just
>the communications server in place, though. If nothign else, it should be
>a smaller binary. Dunno if the memory consumption will be any less.

Probably not much smaller. Crypto code isn't all that big.

>I assume you've never seen the whole thing.

I saw the eval product, which is meant to be the full thing, but it
was several months ago, and I only had to see if it would do what we
wanted...

>There's a lot of useful stuff
>in there. You can up, restart and shut down the server, alter the max and
>min number of processes you run at once, read and rotate the logs, get
>current and overall load reports.

Yep. Remember that. Not all highly useful stuff - we prefer using cron
jobs for log rotation and analysis...

>One kinda okay thing is the abilty to
>remap directories from there instead of needing to go to the line and do
>symlinks. So if you want just /tech-papers to point to
>/usr/home/dorks/babble, you can do it from the interface. It's a no
>brainer for me to do it, but the Windoze folks I work with don't have to
>learn anything new. (Apparently a life goal for some of them)

Hehe. Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of nice features which look nice,
and make nice bell & whistle sounds for you (ok, no sounds, but you
get the idea), but only a few had any real use past the installation
procedure, if at all.

>The setup was easier than _anything_ I have ever set up before. Even the
>directory choices and things were through the web browser, which doesn't
>have to be local. (A big plus for me, I don't run X so I can save the
>memory and cycles) You can lock out administration logins by IP
>(including subnets - mine is 147.70.*.*, so you gotta be a MDCC person to
>access it)

Yep. But I'd prefer firewalls (IP source addresses can be spoofed
...), and there are better ways of protecting your system, like not
making it so easily accessible (e.g. not supplying a TCP port, and
just running it off the file system...)

>I'm not saying I'da paid $1500 of my money or my exployers money for it,
>but their nonprofit deal was certainly worth it. I'm trying to convince
>the network guys here to dump the Netware NLM server they have now (with
>no CGI! jeez...) for communications server on NT. (anti-unix bigots,
>don't flame me about it...)

Sorry? Did I just hear you call NT UN*X? :-)

I've used NT. It's not UN*X, it's a POSIX compliant (alledgedly -
never had the chance to verify that) multi-user version of windows.
Nothing special. For server use it's hopeless - the overhead is way to
high :-(

Gary